Monday, February 11, 2008

Three talented actors wasted in a single film. Haneke has shot a flop film.


La Pianiste (2001) directed by Michael Haneke

Not having seen even a single film of Michael Haneke's Austrian trilogy,I decided to watch this film in order to understand his style. My expectations were not met as I was heavily disappointed with this film as primarily all the three French actors were not properly used. To begin with Isabelle Huppert is a big miscast as the cold,lonely music teacher.This role could have been nicely done by Hanna Schygulla. Why ? As a German actress she would have surely had better affinity with Michael Haneke who is an Austrian author.Even the role given to the veteran actress of the past Annie Girardot looks unconvincing as she never fits in such kind of troubled mother mold.The biggest error is related to Benoit Magimel's character. This is because he is more at home in demonstrating his acting talents related to psychological aspects of French films. As I have not read the books by Elfriede Jelinek,I don't think that it would be fair on my part to comment on the book's cinematographic adaptation. All in all, I have no hesitation in saying that I have failed to grasp the very the essence of this film. May be I should soon organize a second viewing session in order to find out hidden meanings of this film.For the moment this film remains an awful experience for me.

No comments: